Have a go at these Christmas tree cakes
For the cake:
- 100g unsalted butter at room temp
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g self raising flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp milk
For the decoration:
- red and white writing icing
- 2 packets (approx. 75g) smarties
- handful of edible silver balls
- 8 candy canes
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c / 160c fan. Grease and line a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract with an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and continue to mix.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and mix by hand. Add the milk and mix again.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and flatten with a spoon or spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cook in the tin for a few minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- It’s really important to let the cake cool completely before cutting it so that it won’t crumble. We need it to hold its shape.
- Once the cake is completely cooled cut it into 8 triangles – in half first, then quarters, then eights.
- Turn the cake triangles upside down for flatter surface. Use the writing icing to create a string or tinsel effect and then add a few smarties. Then decorate with a few silver balls.
- Use the end of a teaspoon to make a small hole in the bottom of the christmas tree. Snap off the curved part of the candy cane and insert that into the hole.
- Finally, dust with a little icing sugar